Soak up some holiday-themed hometown history at the Kentucky Historical Society during Frankfort’s Candlelight Tradition on Thursday, November 21st from 5-9 p.m. Family-friendly activities include:
- Marvel at a KHS tradition: the Holiday History Train! This year’s interactive exhibit highlights the careers hidden within the magnificent 65-foot display. Trains run simultaneously, with up to 100 cars – including steam engines that smoke and whistle. FREE admission!
- Stroll through the Kentucky Historical Society’s signature exhibition, A Kentucky Journey, then create a Commonwealth-themed craft. FREE admission!
- Cast your vote in a Gingerbread House contest managed by the Capital City Activity Center and featuring dozens of entries made by Frankfort businesses and organizations.
- Take inspiration from the Gingerbread House display to make-and-take your own gingerbread ornament.
- Spread holiday happiness by designing a cheery card for local elders.
- Get a jump start on your holiday shopping with 20% off holiday decorations and 25% selected items in our Stewart Home School 1792 Store.
In addition to specials running at our gift shop, the Kentucky Historical Society Foundation will also be hosting a “pop up” Holiday Train Gift Shop. During the evening, “Ready To Run” Lionel O-Gauge Train sets will be available to purchase (thanks to Hobby Town, Lexington, KY) as well as a variety of model train layout DVDs from the popular TM Books and Videos label.
Sign up or renew a KHS individual or family membership ($40 or $80 annually), and receive one free Train Layout DVD of your choice! ($10 value, proceeds from all sales benefit the Kentucky Historical Society Foundation)
Our building and exhibits will also be open on Friday, November 22 from 5-9 p.m. with regular admission.