Christians of the Episcopal/Anglican tradition have worshiped on the site of the Church of the Ascension since 1836. The current gothic revival church building was begun in 1848. The building was completed in 1852. In 1868 the apse and transept were added. The parish house was constructed in 1899, and the education wing was added in 1967. The original wooden church remained in use for Sunday school and other classes until it was razed in 1900.